Friday, February 5, 2010

Bob Herbert supports Al Gore's program to stop releasing CO2 during electricity generation within ten years. I'm scared green that this may be nowhere near enough.

CO2 now in the atmosphere is causing a continuing increase in global temperature. Atmospheric CO2 is currently increasing at a considerable rate, more for transportation and heating than for electricity. Even if all production of atmospheric CO2 is stopped within ten years, CO2 in the atmosphere will continue to rise for some time, causing an icreasing rate of rise of global temperature. Temperature will continue to rise until the CO2 level declines well below its peak.

I have no idea when the global temperature will peak, or at what level. I don't know how far sea level will rise (When must Long Island be evacuated?), how lethal hurricanes and tornadoes will become, what species will become extinct, but I'm scared silly. Since I'm 86, those events will probably not ruin my life, but I have a grandson and many great nieces and nephews.

The danger to humanity from imminent climate change seems to me far more severe than that from Al Qaeda, Mugabe, Putin, China, etc. Why has the Times not provided the necessary news and editorial coverage warranted by the danger?

2 comments:

  1. Alas, the danger remains the subject of controversy. I have a friend with a PhD in atmospheric and oceanic science (I believe that's the correct title) who persists in claiming that global warming does not exist.

    ReplyDelete